Saturday, August 13, 2005

Firsts, firsts and more firsts...

We're just starting a new project at work for the next few months. It's a fairly standard data mangling app, retreiving deatails about people, updating them stashing them back in a database. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

Well, it would seem that my team doesn't like to do the same thing over and over again (fair enough, neither do I!) so we're going to be doing a whole bunch of stuff that none of us have ever really done before. Our next project will be:

  • Written in C#
  • v2.0
  • in VS 05 beta
  • All developed on virtual PCs
  • Managed by Team System (Also running on a virtual server)


It's times like this that I really like not being chrged for by the hour. We had a meeting yesterday where we kind of figured that we can get the data-mangling parts written relatively quickly, so we could spend a bit more time doing nice twiddly bits for the UI. Nice. So there's going to be a few AJAX-easqe bits (I'm not even going to pretend that it's a new thing, but I'd never found a library quite as nice as Michael Schwarz' AJAX.NET for making it happen). IN real life, I;m sure we could knock something very dull rogether in a few weeks, but that would be it. It would be a very boring bit of kit. Just another in a long line of data mangling applications, And if I was being charged for by the hour, I'm sure that would suffice ('I don't care how boring it is, just do it as quick and cheap as possible!').

But I'm not. And that's cool. We get to learn new stuff (none of us have written in C# before) use new things (all betas, which is why we're doing it all on VPC's) and have some real fun (if you're into that sort of thing) with it.

Nice!

Just wanted to share.

No comments: