Thursday, September 30, 2004

Coupla new additions

No, I haven't had twins.

I'm now getting my comments hosted by Haloscan. Not for any real reason, but I have discovered that it's far easier to put comments on now than it was with Blogger's comments. You don't have to be a blogger user or anything to use it.

I'm not sure whether it's the Haloscan code or the Freestats code that's doing it, but I get all sorts of privacy alerts and things from IE telling me that all and sundry are trying to download cookies with dubious privacy policies. I don't really like that. It makes me look like a cheapskate amateur. (As if!!!)

The other new addition is getting my site feed sorted out through FeedBurner. It's just one of the ones that Blogger suggests, so I'm going to have a look see how that pans out. It might be good, or it might suck. Either way, subscribe now. Who knows, I might say something interesting one day!

It has highlighted a couple of things that I really need to get sorted sometime soon, though.

1) Get my own webspace. Yeah, it's a bit of a no-brainer, but it's getting incresingly hard to find people that'll do what I want for free. Webmatrixhosting have stopped doing their free .NET hosting, and Brinkster don't support compiled web apps.

2) Register a Domain name. Yeah, for the same reason. I'm getting bored with sending mates really big long URL's and stuff.

3) Some kind of blogging tool. For the same reason again. I guess I'll get into one of the well-known ones, like DasBlog or .TEXT. It depends on how long it takes me to get my arse into gear and get it sorted. Who knows, I might get savageBlog into some sort of workable state before I get any of this sorted, in which case I'll just dogfood that. Who knows.

If anyone's got any suggestions for hosts or blogging apps, then you can be among the first to use my nice new swankyposh commenting system!

Just wanted to share.

No comments: