Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Well that's alright, then (I think)

I've just read this article about Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition. This seems to sugest that VS 2005 is going to have a cut-price, slightly limited functionality cheapskates version, without having to resort to the Express edition.

There are several reasons why I think this is a good thing, First and foremost is that, although I develop for fun, writing things that I find interesting, rather than things I have to write, and all that, I would one day like to do it for money. My perception of the express edition dev tools is that they're quite a bit different to VS in how they're used, as well as what they do. If i have a limited functionality version of VS that works the same, just has less features, then I can move quite smoothly rfom one version to the other.

The second reason is that I use some of the things that (I gather) you can't do in a single express edition product, you have to download and use more than 1 simultaneously. For instance, there have been a few times where I've developed a web app in conjunction with a smart-client app as well as a backend class library. That's where it gets (I think) quite fun. As far as I know, I wouldn't really be able to do this so easily in the express edition products.

Yes, yes, yes. I'm the first person to admit that I haven't used any of the express tools. I don't know first hand what I'm talking about. I'm just going from what I've read. If I'm wrong, then please, someone let me know.

When I heard about the Express ed's, I was a bit concerned that it would mean the death of the affordable version of VS, which I was a bit upset about. I'm feeling a bit better about it now.

Just wanted to share.

No comments: