Monday, April 04, 2005

Isn't life grand?

I've been having one of those weeks when I just wander about rediscovering really cool things. You know what it's like. There's a whole world of cool stuff out there, but we all just breeze past it and don't see just how great everything is.

Washing machines
Washing machines really are cool. They are, I find, essential if you want to keep your friends. I hear there's nothing worse than having a really smelly friend. I just love the way you can load up your manky shirts and they come out clean again. Briliant.

Secure working environments
There's nothing I love more than going in to work and knowing, yes, knowing that I'm safe and secure at my desk. I can sit there and rest easy (except when I get up and get a coffee) safe in the knowledge that I'm unlikely to get assaulted or blown up by anyone. Top notch. I love it.

Self-Documenting databases
One of the pleasant side-effects of relational database design, apart from the obvious benefits of performance, size, and all tha good stuff, if the ability of the data structure to give you a good idea of how things are related in real life. If my database sys there's a zero-or-one-to-many relationship between houses and people, then that suggests, quite logically, that a house can have zero, one, or more people living in it. Fantastic! I get information about how real life works from the structure of a database. Something almost completely unrelated to houses and families. How cool's that? I love that.

The more perceptive of you may have guessed that this week my washing machine packed up, I forgot my building pass and spent a frustrating afternoon trying to work out some database stuff.

Apologies for excess sarcasm.

No comments: