Monday, November 22, 2004

Looks like I might have to change the title of my blog...

One of the comments on this post here caught my attention. It's by Daniel Moth who says:

"I understand what you are doing from a business perspective: Driving the professional community to C#; just come out and state it please so we can all stop talking and arguing about it."
. I had a couple of thoughts about it...
  1. Refactoring's not that hard to do, if you do it as you go along. Granted, it means that your initial rate of progress might be a little lower, and it certainly looks odd when you're putting quick prototypes together, but at the end of the day, it's not that arduous a task. That said...
  2. It is a bit of a bugger when the CSharpies get tools that VB people don't
  3. This prioritizing of features like 'My' and stuff like that does give the CSharpies more ammo to sling at VB types. Which is a shame.
  4. It's a relatively minor feature, if you ask me. If you can't change your variable names using search/replace then it's your own fault!*
Those were the first thoughts I had.

Why do I think I might change the name on my blog? Well. One of the things I was really impressed with about VS 2005 is that (as far as I know) VS Standard (i.e. Cheapskate) Edition supports multiple languages. So, when I eventually get it, I'm going to be able to start working with C# as well as VB. No doubt I'll always keep a preference, but hey, one of my favourite things about VB.NET was that it's all .NET. It's all just coding against the framework, and so any differences between one and the other are just syntax. And I can deal with syntax.


*Yes, yes, yes. I know refactoring isn't just about changing variable names, it's l about taking out regularly used bits of code and slinging them in their own methods (among other things...) Changing variable names was just the first thing that came to mind at the time.

No comments: