Friday, December 03, 2004

Good things to do before you ask for help

Scott Hanselman's written a quick list of do's and don't's to go through before you ask for help.

It's something that I see quite a lot, not so much in newsgroups (I don't really subscribe to any) but more in the ASP.NET forums (where I've been a bit quiet of late. Mostly because of this).

Debugging's something that's easy to not do. I know there have been times when I've been confounded by something strange happening, pondering it for ages before stepping through my code and finding I'd made some sort of silly mistake (typos usually).

The one step I'd add, which I guess comes after debugging, but before asking for help is googling it. Whatever the problem is, it's very unlikely to be something that nobody's experienced and solved before.

Just wanted to share.

No comments: